Family

Family

OUR JOURNEY

This is our family's journey- the story of our daughter's fight with cancer. Along the way, we will have some tears, lots of love, and even more prayers going up to heaven. We know that our Heavenly Father is aware of us. We know that he will help us fight, fill our hearts with peace, and send angels to give us aid. We send praise to HIM. Join us in this battle. This battle of courage, determination, and most of all faith in God that all is well and will be well.
This is where I will record my feelings- raw, real, and unfiltered. Welcome all.
Follow us on Facebook for quick updates- find us at OUR WARRIOR PRINCESS group page. Click the join button and we will add you!

Monday, April 15, 2013

Rainbows on Cloudy Days (and the beginning)...

I trust in God that he will help us see the silver lining in it all. As I praise the God Almighty, I see the rainbow on a cloudy and storm filled day...

Even though we may be going back and forth to Salt Lake City a lot, the kids were able to go and see the beehive house this weekend. They really enjoyed looking around, exploring and learning a little history (even though they didn't know it). We went shopping and bought the kids some new clothes. We also got to stay in a 'hotel' and they had fun. At the hospital, the kids went to the forever young zone - which is awesome! They got to play foosball, make and destroy pinatas (with playdough inside), paint pillow cases, do color sand art, and all kinds of other fun-filled activities!

Thank you to all those who have done anything to help, bless, support, or encourage our family and other families with children at Primary's - may God bless you.

How it all began (from Daddy's perspective) On Saturday March 23, 2013
At first, when it all began, Evalette on Saturday night she seemed a little tired. She was just a little sick with perhaps a virus that would soon pass. I had seen it before in our boys. They had been tired and fatigued from fighting a sickness which soon would pass. That is what I assumed... This time was different!

Danielle took her to the hospital on Sunday morning because she seemed to have a little bit of labored or fast breathing. The doctor sent her home with an anti-biotic as usual. He did test her positive for strep.

On Monday while I was at work, I felt like I should take Tyrell to the doctor on my way home from work in the afternoon. I wanted to know if Tyrell still had strep throat again after finishing his antibiotic a week ago. I found a good review of a doctor near his school and we went. I didn't ever want to take the kids to the doctor nor had I thought of it while I was at work, but this time I felt it was necessary. He was the only one in the family that took amoxicillin and I took him in thinking that perhaps he was the 'carrier' because this strain of strep was resistant to amoxicillin. Our family had tested positive now for the third time in a few months - crazy! He already had strep again - how is this possible? He must be the carrier. I wanted to see if all of the other kids had it too and the doctor said we could bring them all in and test the rest. We did = all positive. Crazy! This time they put me on antibiotics too even though my full throat culture came back negative for strep. The whole family was on antibiotics just like before including me.

The doctor told me that I needed to setup another appointment to test the other kids. We now only needed to test Jarom and Lance, but I felt like I should set the appointment up for Evalette. Danielle brought the rest of the kids and met us at the doctors. Day two - doctor Two. On Monday, Evalette still seemed fatigued. The doctor gave her an antibiotic shot and said she wanted to see her tomorrow.

Day Three - we went again to the second doctor on Tuesday. She gave her another shot and said she wanted to see her again tomorrow. She told us to give her pedialite every hour or she would have to admit her to the hospital. I stayed home from work and gave her pedialite a lot. She was gagging on it - it was so sad that I had to force it down her, but I didn't want my little girl to have to go to the hospital.
After the two doctors for three days, I just wanted to call it quits and take care of her at home. I remember feeling the thoughts, "You can let her die here at home, or you can take her to the doctor again." I hated going to the doctor.

Day Four - Doctor Three - March 27, 2013 We went again on Wednesday to the 2nd doctor. This time, the doctor felt something in her abdomen and had another 3rd doctor come and look at her. He said that it felt like her spleen was enlarged and that she needed to be admitted to the hospital. Danielle called me and I said ok. I asked if Alise could watch the kids so that I could be there if possible. She so kindly cancelled her eye appointment and watched the boys.

After several hours and several tests. They said that she had a mass in her chest, RSV and rhino virus (the common cold). The mass they said looks like it could be a large tumor benign or cancerous. They got the blood test back and said that she had Leukemia and her chance of survival was very, very low at this point. Her white blood cell count was so high at 423,000 instead of the normal of 5000-15,000. I cried so much - we all cried. They basically told us that our daughter was going to die and had very little chance of hope.

They life-flighted her in a helicopter to Primary Children's hospital. One lady that was supposed to be on the flight, gave up her seat so that Danielle could go with Evalette. I wanted to go too, but only one of us could and I of course wanted Danielle to be with her.

I drove to the hospital from Provo, which seemed like forever. Then, at Primary Children's they told us that they needed to run some more tests and that she may not have Leukemia. It started all over again…

Finally (not sure after how long), they told us she has acute T-cell ALL Leukemia. Danielle and I slept on a twin bed together in the waiting rooms - they gave us a room. We stayed there for a few nights as each day gave us more answers and more specifics on what she had and survival rates.

Looking back on it all, I am grateful for the doctors that were diligent in having us return and for the doctors that figured out what she has. Thank you for figuring it out. Thank you to all of those who have done research and found cures for Leukemia. I am grateful to all those who have helped - Thank you!
To Seeing Rainbows on a Cloudy Day...

No comments:

Post a Comment