Family

Family

OUR JOURNEY

This is our family's journey- the story of our daughter's fight with cancer. Along the way, we will have some tears, lots of love, and even more prayers going up to heaven. We know that our Heavenly Father is aware of us. We know that he will help us fight, fill our hearts with peace, and send angels to give us aid. We send praise to HIM. Join us in this battle. This battle of courage, determination, and most of all faith in God that all is well and will be well.
This is where I will record my feelings- raw, real, and unfiltered. Welcome all.
Follow us on Facebook for quick updates- find us at OUR WARRIOR PRINCESS group page. Click the join button and we will add you!

Thursday, March 28, 2013

The Beginning

Our family of 6 has been fighting off strep since Nov.   We had all the regular symptoms and all got put on antibiotics just before Christmas.  In January, I took Lance, Jarom, and Evalette in for well checks. Of course they had RSV so we postponed shots until the end of Feb.  Back to the doc we went.  Once again to try to finish the well checks.  Well, although they had no signs or symptoms all were tested for strep and all were positive.  Once again, antibiotics all around.   We couldn't figure out why we still had the bacteria (and to set everyone at ease, nobody was contagious, just the bacteria was there).  On March 9th, we finished up the antibiotic, confident that all was well.
On Saturday, March 23 Evalette wasn't feeling well.  She had a low grade fever and wasn't eating much.  We spend the day at James' parents house and she just layed in grandma's arms.  I noticed that she wasn't breathing great.  She was grunting a little and holding her breath occasionally.  We watched her closely through the night and at 6 am on Sunday I took her to the Springville Instacare.  She had begun to pull and retract through her chest.  I knew something was wrong.  At the doctor's office she stated fine- oxygen was 96.  So Dr. Bowcott wasn't concerned.  I told him about the strep issues we had been having so he tested her although she really had no signs of strep. Positive of course.  He gave me a prescription for Amoxicillin and told me she was fine.  I was baffled.  I knew something wasn't right.  I took her home and we once again watched her closely.
On Monday, James had the impression to take Tyrell into a pediatric clinic in Springville.  He wanted to know if Tyrell still tested positive for strep.  He of course did.  The wonderful nurse practitioner, Debbie, told James to set up one more appointment and she would test all the rest of the family.  James felt strongly that he should set up the appointment for Evalette.  So we all went in.  Yes, positive again. So she gave us all, including James and I new antibiotic prescriptions- a very strong one.  Debbie was very concerned about Evalette.  She could tell that she was dehydrated, struggling with her breathing, and lethargic.  She decided to give Evalette a rocephrin shot, a quick shot of an a very strong antibiotic, to see if that would jumpstart her.  She was thinking of admitting her to Utah Valley right then, but decided to send us home, as long as we pushed fluids down her and we would see Debbie the next day.  James took Tuesday off.  He hydrated his baby like mad.  Every hour or more, he would get a syringe and give Evalette at least an ounce of pedialyte.  She seemed to perk up a bit and later Tuesday we took her back to the doctor.  Debbie was optimistic that she was feeling better and breathing better.  Another rocephrin shot, an appointment for wednesday to have her checked again set up, and we were out the door.  Something still nagged at me.  Something was wrong with my baby.  She acted like a virus had hit her hard, but there was something else.  I just knew it.  At 4:30 am Wednesday morning I almost took her to the ER, but I felt strongly to wait.  I prayed that all would be well and that she would be protected.  At 9:40 am we saw Debbie again.  We both decided that Evalette seemed worse.  Her breathing was unimproved and now Evalette was flaring her nostrils.  Debbie also noticed that there was something in her lower abdominal cavity- she wasn't sure at to what it was...stool?  She called in the regular doctor. He thought it was an enlarged spleen.  They decided we needed to admit her to Utah Valley hospital for testing and hydration.
I jumped in the car and went straight there.  They put her on an IV right away.  We had a chest X-ray, an abdominal ultrasound done, and blood drawn.  The ultrasound confirmed an enlarged spleen.  But it was the chest x-ray that blew us away.  There was a mass on top of her lungs and heart and fluid around her lungs.  But it wasn't pneumonia.  So we waited for the blood results to come back.
Around 3 pm on March 27th, my world changed forever.  We were told that my baby had cancer, Leukemia.  I will never forget that moment.  I hugged her tight, kissed her head, rocked her back and forth, and the tears started.  Everyone in the room cried.  Not only were we shocked, but so were the doctors.  We were told that her white blood count was at 432,000.  A normal person's white blood count is from 5000-18000 max.  They life lighted us to Primary Children's hospital.  I got to ride in the helicopter with her.  She didn't enjoy it.  She just wanted me close.  We arrived at Primary's at 6 pm.  What a long day.  We were met by a great team of doctors and nurses.  They put us in the ICU because of her critical condition.  We now have begun the process of fighting the leukemia and finding the silver lining through it all.

5 comments:

  1. Many prayers for your sweet baby. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your blog through a friend on facebook. I am a mom of a pediatric bi-phenotypic acute leukemia survivor. Meaning both ALL & AML. I still remember every detail of the days leading up to his diagnosis and the moment we found out. My son is now 3 years and 3 months out from chemo and doing very well. Those days , weeks, months in the trenches are hard, but there are so many blessings everywhere. Some times they are right in your face and other times it's a struggle to see them, but they are there. I will be praying for your family. If I can offer one piece of advice- take lots of pictures. The good, the scary, the hard to see, the little moments, the big moments, the souroundings, the funny things, through your childrens eyes. Our pictures (even of the tough times) have become a treasure to us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Danielle - My heart just breaks reading this. I just want you to know that I am thinking about you and praying for your sweet little girl and your family. Please let me know if there is any way I can help. I live in Highland, so I would be happy to watch your boys when you have to go up to Salt Lake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are fairly new in the ward so you may not remember who I am but please know our thoughts and prayers are with your precious little girl and your family. Please know I am always willing to help out in any way I can. Let me know if you need a babysitter or anything. Caitie Buhler

    ReplyDelete
  5. They let you fly on the helicopter??? When Zeke was life flighted they told me no one was ever allowed and I had to drive. You had some flying angels! I know what you mean when you found out your world was changed forever. I know what it is like at PCMC. I love the staff there. You will be so well taken care of. I know you have your amazing sisters but if you need more help please let me know. What a sweet baby she is. You can do this. You are a mother. You are amazing.
    Much love,
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete